Alan Perkins focuses his practice on all types of corporate and securities transactions. He often represents privately and closely held companies, as well as public companies and private equity firms, in a wide variety of industry sectors throughout the United States. Alan is a partner in the firm’s Transactions and Mergers & Acquisitions Practices.
Alan’s clients typically are middle market companies, and he serves as the lead attorney in approximately ten M&A transactions annually, with enterprise values most often ranging from US$30 million to US$200 million or more. He also frequently represents senior executives in connection with employment and severance arrangements, as well as special committees of boards of directors in various matters.
Consistently recognized as a leading corporate and M&A lawyer, Alan appears in publications such as Chambers USA, which refers to him as “a great business lawyer” who “knows how to get through the issues” and highlights that his clients appreciate his negotiation skills and common-sense approach. Other publications that have recognized Alan include The Best Lawyers in America© and Texas Super Lawyers.
Alan developed his practical business experience and judgment while working during his pre-college years for his family’s food service distribution business, and later serving for over 30 years on its Board of Directors until he led the sale of the business. Today, his clients appreciate his candor and responsiveness, as well as his ability to simplify complex issues, find logical solutions and reach mutually beneficial compromises. These skills often result in opposing principals and lawyers in a transaction referring future matters to him.
- Capital Express, LLC equity sale.
- Biotron Laboratories, LLC and Talus Mineral Company, LLC equity sale.
- Tabletop Media, LLC division asset sale.
- Sales Benchmark, LLC in a US$160m change of control transaction.
- Sid Wainer & Son, and its affiliates, asset sale to The Chef’s Warehouse.
- United Steel Supply, LLC In a US$134m sale of majority interest to Steel Dynamics, Inc.
- Oakley Capital Limited purchase of majority interest in cPanel.
- Sunridge Partners (U.K.), LLP purchase of mushroom farm business.
- CPI One Point stock sale to Staples, Inc.
- DynaTen Corporation sale by merger.
- Middle-market private investment firm acquisition of aluminum extrusion assets.
- Executive management group of Metro PCS in sale to T-Mobile.
- Web-based information provider asset sale to Providence Equity Partners, Inc.
- Highlander Capital Partners LP. purchase of auto products company and multiple follow-on acquisitions.
- Custom Window Systems, Inc. (portfolio company of Highlander Partners, L.P.) stock sale to Nautic Partners.
- Profile Custom Extrusions LLC (portfolio company of Highlander Capital Partners LP) asset purchase of Profile Extrusion Company.
- PE-backed energy service company sale of assets of South Texas Division.
- Domestic hotel management company minority investment in Puerto Rico luxury hotel and casino .
- Southern Glazer’s Wine and Spirits, LLC purchase of membership interest of Victor L. Robilio, LLC.
- IntegraColor Ltd. US$77m equity sale to Orora Limited.
- Real estate company US$380m asset disposition.
- Direct sales company US$920m recapitalization merger and related US$200m Rule 144A offering of senior subordinated notes.
- Restaurant company US$228m, tax-free pooling merger of two public companies.
- Software company US$400m asset sale.
- Specialty footwear manufacturer US$155m IPO.
- Public software company US$63m asset acquisition.
- Public software company US$92m merger.
- Ennis Paint Inc. change of control sale to Brazos Private Equity Partners LLC
- Brazos Equity Fund III LP purchase of controlling interest in road marking materials company.
- Middle market private investment firm sale of a portfolio company and its operating subsidiary (designer, manufacturer, and marketer of windows and doors).
- Founders of Texas-based hospitality firm majority equity sale.
- Special committee of board of directors of SL Industries Inc. US$165m sale to Handy & Harman Ltd. (affiliate of Steel Partners Holdings Ltd.).
- Texas manufacturer merger with New York-based retail brand management organization.
- KSL Capital financing, sale, reacquisition and refinancing of LaCosta Resort & Spa in Carlsbad, California.
- Lighting products company US$68m merger.
- DF&R Inc. US$32m IPO and US$27m secondary offering.
- Soft drink bottler US$65m debt offering.
- Soft drink bottler US$125m senior subordinated debt offering.
- Workers’ compensation management software company US$24m private offering of preferred stock and warrants.
- Greenheck Fan Corporation ESOP establishment.
Awards and Recognition
- Recognized, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (Tom Wicker ed., Chambers & Partners)
- Corporate/M&A (Texas) (2012-2023)
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in the fields of:
- Corporate Law (2006-2017, 2020-2024)
- Mergers & Acquisitions Law (2014, 2016, 2017, 2020-2024)
- Honoree, D Lawyers Hall of Fame, D Magazine
- Recognized, Best Lawyers in Dallas, D Magazine
- Corporate Law: Mergers & Acquisitions (2008-2009, 2012-2023)
- Selected for inclusion to the Texas Super Lawyers list in the field of Mergers & Acquisitions (2003-2019)
- Recognized, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5 Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ system
- Recipient, Certificate of Recognition, America’s Blood Centers (national organization of all independent blood centers)
- Board Member and Secretary, Vogel Alcove Foundation
- Trustee, Hillcrest Foundation
- Former Board Chair, Cabinet Member, Vice President – Finance and Board Member, Vogel Alcove
- Former Board Member, American Jewish Committee
- Former Board Chair, Carter BloodCare
- Former Board Chair, Carter BloodCare Foundation
- Former Board Chair and Treasurer, Carter BloodCare Jingle Bell Run
- Former Board Member, Greater East Dallas Chamber of Commerce
- Former Board Member, Greenhill School
- Former Board Member and Secretary, Jewish Community Center Endowment Foundation
- Former Board Member, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer and Former Co-Chair of Annual Golf Tournament, Jewish Community Center of Dallas
- Former Board Member, Co-Chair of Pacesetters Division, Co-Chair of Business and Professions Division, Co-Chair of Young Businessmen Division, Co-Chair of Cardozo Society, Co-Chair of Super Sunday Event and Vice Chair of Lawyers Division, Jewish Federation of Greater Dallas