Jeffrey C. Thrope has a broad range of experience serving as general counsel to companies in the health care and related industries, as well as not-for-profit organizations and governments. He is a partner in the firm’s Health Care & Life Sciences Sector, as well as the Public Finance Practice.
In addition to his considerable experience in helping public and safety-net hospitals develop operational and financing plans necessary to their survival, Jeffrey has provided advice and counsel in virtually every area of health care law for health systems, hospitals, nursing homes, physician practices, and other providers in the all areas of medical and behavioral health, including health care institutional structuring and governance, compliance, network formation, litigation oversight, medical-legal and ethical issues, contracting, high technology acquisition and implementation, Internet and e-commerce activities, bank financing, reimbursement, dispute resolution (including litigation where necessary), labor, internal investigations, physician arrangements and credentialing, and related matters. Jeffrey was instrumental in developing and implementing structures for the assisted living industry as it expanded into New York.
Jeffrey has provided similar services to governments, colleges, and other not-for-profit entities in the educational field, and has a particular talent for helping maintain his clients’ mission, while addressing whatever legal issues they face. He has helped governments address structuring and financial issues and has identified significant revenue and cost containment opportunities that have become more critical in these difficult times.
Prior to joining Foley, Jeffrey was a partner at a law firm (1988 to 2002), and then at another law firm (2003 to 2009). He was an associate and partner at other firms from (1981-1987).
Awards and Recognition
- Ranked as one of the top health care attorneys in New York by Chambers USA (2011 – 2023)
- Selected for inclusion in the 2007 and 2016 New York Super Lawyers® lists
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© each year since 2011 in the field of health care
- Served as a member of the Health Law and Family Courts Committees of the Association of the Bar of City of New York
Presentations and Publications
Jeffrey is the co-author of books and articles, including:
- Consent and Confidentiality in the Health Care of Children and Adolescents (Free Press, 1986)
- Rights and Responsibilities of Young People in New York (New York City Youth Bureau, 1986), a guide for non-lawyers that is currently updated and republished by New York State Bar Association
- Modern Federal Jury Instructions (Matthew Bender, 1985)
Jeffrey has spoken at various conferences and has contributed to course materials, including the Practicing Law Institute Faculty 1999: Understanding, Preventing and Litigating Year 2000 Issues – Health Care Industry.