Scott Anderson is a registered patent attorney counseling clients on a wide variety of intellectual property issues, particularly those involving patent and trade secret law, product design, licensing, and transactions. Scott is a partner in the firm's Mechanical & Electromechanical Technologies and Green Energy Technologies Practices and a member of the Manufacturing Sector and Food & Beverage and Automotive Industry Teams.
As a part of one of the largest intellectual property practices in the United States, Scott counsels clients and provides business-focused solutions relating to issues such as:
- Creating, implementing, and managing IP strategy programs and portfolios for small-, mid-, and large-sized companies
- Preparing and negotiating IP agreements, including joint development, professional services, and license agreements
- Conducting IP due diligence and counseling for mergers, acquisitions, capital funding, and other business transactions
- Assessing and managing IP enforcement actions and risk analysis projects
Scott has worked with manufacturers and investment firms in a wide variety of technical disciplines ranging from electric vehicles, motorcycle/automotive, medical devices, health care and diagnostic services, food products and packaging, cooling and refrigeration systems, sporting goods, clean/green technologies, water technologies, software and internet applications, and other consumer, commercial, industrial, or investment products and services.
Prior to joining Foley, Scott was an engineer for a manufacturer of electronic and electrical products.
- Represented BorgWarner Inc.’s spin off of its fuel systems and aftermarket segments into a separate, publicly-traded company named PHINIA Inc.
- Represented a public automotive supplier in its acquisition of a manufacturer of products and software for electric vehicle charging, energy storage, and power distribution.
- Developed and managed IP portfolios, and conducted freedom-to-operate analyses, for manufacturers of cooling and refrigeration products.
- Represented a manufacturer of light-duty and heavy-duty electric drivetrains in the negotiation of a complex commercialization and joint development agreement with a global commercial vehicle supplier.
- Represented an automotive supplier in its investment in and joint development project with a developer and supplier of battery management software for smartphone, automotive, and energy storage manufacturers.
- Developed and managed a comprehensive IP portfolio for an international beverage and beverage equipment company.
- Provided strategic advice on enforcement in Europe of a registered Community Design on a food service product for a U.S. client against a German company. Enforcement included obtaining a preliminary injunction, seizing and destroying infringing products, and securing a customs seizure with European customs officials.
- Represented a global automotive supplier on IP matters in a joint venture with a battery manufacturer for electric vehicles.
- Represented a large public company on IP matters in a joint development project for the development of electric vehicles.
- Represented companies and private equity firms on IP matters in acquisitions of or investments in the following sectors: electric vehicles (including automobiles, motorcycles, truck, and bicycles), electric vehicle batteries and charging stations, vascular robotics, health care services, industrial heat exchangers, commercial and industrial temperature control for refrigerated systems, HVAC products and services; supply chain logistics services, mortgage analytics and management software, refrigerated containers and trailers, modular buildings and mobile offices, mattress and bedding products, landscape and hardscape products, residential and commercial lighting, hearth and fireplace products, boating and marine products, AECO services, global navigation satellite system software, and mobile network software.
- Recognized as a Global IP Star by Managing Intellectual Property (2018 - 2022)
- Recognized among IAM Patent 1000 - The World's Leading Patent Practitioners (2013 - 2023)
- Former adjunct professor at Marquette University Law School, where he taught patent and intellectual property litigation for several years.
Scott has also authored several articles on patent law and is a frequent speaker on a variety of intellectual property related subjects:
- Co-author, “How to Protect Intellectual Property During Product Development,” Manufacturing Whitepaper on Top Legal Issues Facing the Manufacturing Sector in 2023
- Co-author, “Design Patent Protection Remains a Valuable Tool for Automotive Manufacturers,” Dashboard Insights (2022)
- Co-presenter, “Top 10 Electric Vehicle IP Issues,” Foley Automotive Forum at North American International Auto Show, Detroit (2022)
- Author, “Key Intellectual Property Considerations for Joint or Outside Development Projects,” Dashboard Insights (2022)
- Presenter, “Key Intellectual Property Issues When Considering Design/Development Projects with a Contractor, Supplier or Customer,” Foley & Lardner LLP Milwaukee CLE Week (2017)
- Co-author, “Water Technologies Resume Growth,” Intellectual Property Today (2014)
- Presenter, “Water Technology Patent Landscape," at the Water 2.0 Conference (2014) and at The Water Council Quarterly Member Meeting (2014)
- Co-author, “Water Technology Patent Landscape Report,” Foley & Lardner LLP (2013)
- Presenter, “Basics of Intellectual Property,” UW-Milwaukee College of Business (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012)
- Panelist, “Models for Open Innovation – A View from the Trenches,” Foley & Lardner LLP Annual IP Conference (2012)
- Presenter, “Intellectual Property As Collateral,” Foley & Lardner LLP (2009)
- Panelist, “Cutting-Edge Developments and Case Analysis,” VIP GlobalNet LLC CLE Conference (2008)
- Presenter, “Considerations When Protecting Food Innovations With Patents or Trade Secrets,” Foley & Lardner LLP Food & Beverage Industry Team Webcast Series (2008)
- Presenter, “Distinguished Speaker,” Marquette University Intellectual Property Law Review Annual Banquette (2006)
- Marquette University Law School (J.D., summa cum laude, 1999)
- University of Wisconsin - Madison (B.S., 1993)
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- Member, Licensing Executive Society
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Previously served as president of the board for Broadscope Disability Services (f/k/a United Cerebral Palsy of Southeastern Wisconsin), a Wisconsin nonprofit that provides programs, services, and resources for people and families living with disabilities