Stephanie Derks is an associate with Foley & Lardner LLP and is a member of the firm’s Estates and Trusts Practice. She concentrates her practice in estate planning for high net worth individuals, family business succession planning, family office formation, trust and estate administration, tax compliance, and other wealth planning matters. Stephanie strives to provide creative and comprehensive solutions to achieve clients’ estate, business, and tax planning goals.
- Provided unique solutions for client’s business succession planning to achieve client’s goal of perpetual family ownership of the business.
- Played integral role in creating a highly complex family office and continue to work with family office to implement creative tax saving methods.
- Utilized advanced estate and tax planning techniques to allow for gradual transition of closely held business to next generation while ensuring the current generation’s financial security and the company’s future sustainability.
- Worked with businesses and other entities to employ innovative special purpose trust structures.
- Implemented various estate planning arrangements for intergeneration wealth transfer while minimizing tax implications.
- Received, Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch recognition for:
- Corporate Law (2023)
- Trusts and Estates (2021-2023)
Stephanie received her law degree from the University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., cum laude, 2015), where she was a managing editor for Wisconsin Law Review. She received a bachelor’s degree in political science and international studies from the University of Wisconsin-Madison (B.A., 2011), with a certificate in European studies.
- Presenter, "Charitable Gfits of Special Assests," Planned Giving Council Series (Fall 2019; Fall 2020; Fall 2021).
- Participant in the 2019 -2020 Young Professional Adviser Council (YPA) with the Greater Milwaukee Foundation.
- Member, Junior League of Milwaukee.
- Member, Milwaukee Association for Women Lawyers.
- Member, Milwaukee Association for Women Lawyers