Jana Kolarik is a partner and health care lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP. Her practice focuses on health law issues, including health regulatory due diligence; requirements and risks related to acquisitions and sales of for-profit and not-for-profit health care entities; fraud and abuse issues such as anti-kickback and self-referral law compliance; enrollment, coverage, and payment issues; and licensure issues.
Jana has worked with the spectrum of health care entities from academic medical centers (AMCs) to device and pharmaceutical manufacturers. She currently works with AMCs, health systems, community hospitals, large physician groups, physician and midlevel management and staffing companies, DME suppliers, orthotics suppliers and imaging companies, as well as investors in health care entities. Jana is a member of the Health Care Industry Team and the Government Enforcement Defense & Investigations Practice.
- Provides health regulatory-related due diligence reviews and advises clients regarding health regulatory requirements and risks related to acquisitions and sales of for-profit and not-for-profit health care entities
- Counsels clients on fraud and abuse issues, including Federal and State anti-kickback statute and Stark Law compliance
- Advises clients on billing, coding and refund issues, including 60-Day Rule issues
- Advises clients regarding Medicare and Medicaid enrollment, coverage and payment issues
- Advises clients regarding disclosing matters pursuant to the CMS Self-Referral Disclosure Protocol and the OIG Provider Self-Disclosure Protocol
- Assists providers and suppliers in the development of healthcare compliance programs, including compliance training materials, policies, and procedures
- Acts as Legal Independent Review Organization (Legal IRO) for a hospital pursuant to its OIG corporate integrity agreement (CIA)
Jana earned her law degree from the University of Maryland School of Law (J.D., with honors, 2000), where she also completed a certificate program in health law. During law school, she was the editor-in-chief of The Business Lawyer, a joint publication with the American Bar Association’s Section of Business Law. Jana is a graduate of the College of William and Mary (B.A., International Relations, 1992).
Jana has been Peer Review Rated as AV® Preeminent™, the highest performance rating in Martindale-Hubbell's peer review rating system.
Jana was recognized by Best Lawyers® as a “Lawyer of the Year” for 2018 and 2019.
Jana is admitted to practice in Florida and the District of Columbia. She is a member of the American Health Lawyers Association, the Health and Business Law Sections of the American Bar Association, the District of Columbia Bar Association, and the Florida Bar Association.
Jana is on the board of directors for Dreams Come True Jacksonville and Hope Haven.
Below is a list of Jana Kolarik’s more recent publications and speeches:
- "Best Practice Scenarios for Internal Investigations and Audits," Florida Hospital Association’s 16th Annual Health Care Corporate Compliance Education Retreat (June 13, 2019)
- "Fair Market Value and Commercial Reasonableness - Stark Law & Regulatory Risks," Florida Institute of CPAs (April 26, 2019)
- "The Anatomy of Incident-to and Split/Shared Billing," AHLA Physicians & Hospitals Law Institute (February 4-6, 2019)
- "Let's Talk Compliance" Event - Overpayments and Internal Audit/Investigation Presentations, Foley & PYA Event in Jacksonville (January 25, 2019)
- “Law and Order: HCU (Healthcare Compliance Unit),” Association for Corporate Counsel (ACC) Annual Meeting (October 23, 2018)
- “CMS 60-Day Rule: Reporting and Refunding Overpayments, Enforcement, Compliance, Self-Disclosure,” Strafford CLE Webinar (September 13, 2018)
- "Fair Market Value & Commercial Reasonableness in Health Care Transactions," Association for Corporate Counsel (ACC) QuikHit Webinar (February 6, 2018)
- Quoted, “Fraud: House Panel's July 19 Hearing Will Review Medicare Fraud Controls,” Bloomberg BNA’s Healthcare Daily Report (July 17, 2017)
- “CMS 60-Day Rule: Reporting and Refunding Overpayments for Providers and Suppliers One Year Later,” Strafford CLE Webinar (April 5, 2017)
- "I Care, You Care, We all Care about Medicare: A Year in the Mirror and Through the Looking Glass," (Final CMS 60-day Rule and Stark Law Changes), Association for Corporate Counsel (ACC) Annual Meeting (October 17, 2016)
- "US Medicare Parts A and B 60-day Overpayment Rule," Association of Corporate Counsel Webcast (June 28,2016)
- “Final CMS 60-Day Rule: Reporting and Refunding Overpayments for Providers and Suppliers,” Strafford CLE Webinar (April 7, 2016)