Steve Millendorf is a senior counsel in Foley & Lardner LLP’s Technology Transactions & Outsourcing; Cybersecurity; and Privacy, Security, & Information Management Practices. Steve counsels clients on a broad range of security, domestic and EU privacy (GDPR), technology, and intellectual property related issues, including the collection, use, storage, protection, disclosure, destruction, monetization, and licensing of information and intellectual property. Steve regularly speaks and writes about security and privacy issues and is a vice chair of the American Bar Association Information Security Committee.
Prior to his legal career, Steve was a senior staff hardware security engineer at Qualcomm, where he led the design and development activities for the security features for most of Qualcomm’s chip devices used in smartphones, tablets, and other personal computing devices. He was also recognized as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) by Qualcomm’s Government Technologies Division, where he previously held US security clearance and supported the company’s federal, state, and local government partners. Steve is an inventor on U.S. and international patents in the areas of cryptography and security.
Prior to his employment at Qualcomm, Steve worked as an ASIC design engineer in various technologies such as security network processors, broadband modems, and text terminals at companies such as HIFN, General Instruments (now ARRIS), and the Applied Digital Data Systems division of NCR/AT&T. His engineering experience spans over two decades.
University of San Diego School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2013)
- University of California San Diego (M.E., 2000)
- Electrical and Computer Engineering
- SUNY Stony Brook (B.E., 1989)
- Member, American Bar Association
- Vice Chair, Information Security Committee, Section of Science & Technology Law, American Bar Association
- Member, International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- Fellow of Information Privacy (FIP) through the International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Certified Information Privacy Professional – United States and Europe (CIPP/US and CIPP/E) through the International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Certified Information Privacy Manager (CIPM) through the International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Licensed Professional Engineer (State of California)
- District of Columbia.
- Co-author, “Global Ransomware Attack: Preparation is Key,” Foley & Lardner LLP Legal News: Privacy, Security & Information Management, May 15, 2017
- Co-author, “NY Financial Services Companies’ 2017 Resolution: Cybersecurity,” Foley & Lardner LLP Legal News: Privacy, Security & Information Management, December 2, 2016
- Co-author, “Privacy Shield Approved,” Foley & Lardner LLP Legal News: Privacy, Security & Information Management, July 12, 2016
- Co-author, “Privacy Shield – Rejected. GDPR – Accepted: What This Means to Your Organization and What You Should Consider Doing Now,” Foley & Lardner LLP Legal News: Privacy, Security & Information Management, April 15, 2016
- Co-author, “Blue Pill/Red Pill: How Officers and Board Members Can Swallow the Red Pill and See the Real World of Cybersecurity,” Health Care Law Today, May 26, 2015
- Co-author, “Florida Passes Law Requiring Contact Information on Websites,” Foley & Lardner LLP Legal News: Intellectual Property, May 22, 2015
- Presenter, “Taking Control of Cybersecurity: Steps for Officers and Other Senior Management,” 24th Annual Law of Product Distribution & Franchise Seminar, May 12, 2015
- “Phishing and Spear Phishing: Modern Methods Applied to Age-Old Social Engineering,” Health Care Law Today, April 7, 2015
- Co-author, “Net Neutrality: Fatal Regulation or Neutral Impact?” Foley & Lardner LLP Legal News: Privacy, Security & Information Management, March 4, 2015
- Co-author, “Is Your Refrigerator Spying on You?” Foley & Lardner LLP Legal News: Privacy, Security & Information Management, January 30, 2015