Mason D. Roberts is an associate and litigation attorney with Foley & Lardner LLP. Mason’s practice focuses on business disputes involving claims for breach of contract, tortious interference, federal and state regulatory violations, fraud, antitrust violations, and other business torts. Mason also maintains an active pro bono practice, representing both indigent and incarcerated clients. He is a member of the firm’s Business Litigation & Dispute Resolution Practice Group.
During law school, Mason was a summer associate in Foley’s Chicago office and litigated cases in the Duke University Wrongful Convictions Clinic, where he helped secure reduction of a client’s life-without-parole sentence. Before law school, Mason worked at an immigration law firm in San Francisco.
- Defended medical device company in multi-week arbitration involving several breach of contract claims and over $100 million in alleged damages
- Represented life insurance ceding company in seven-day arbitration, disputing nine-figure rate increase by a reinsurer for yearly renewable term (YRT) block of business
- Defended original equipment manufacturer in nationwide class action lawsuit alleging fraudulent misrepresentation, RICO, and state consumer protection law claims
- Conducted internal investigation for Fortune 500 company regarding potential need for self-reporting of EPA regulatory violations
- Obtained dismissal of both original and amended complaints in action against insurance broker for professional negligence, breach of fiduciary duty, tortious interference, and claims under the Illinois Consumer Fraud and Deceptive Business Practices Act
- Obtained favorable settlement for Fortune 100 healthcare provider in qui tam False Claims Act lawsuit relating to Medicare Advantage (MA) services
- Secured dismissal on behalf of wholesaler of distributor’s counterclaims in action for distributor’s failure to pay millions of dollars in outstanding invoices; won subsequent stay of distributor’s amended counterclaims pending outcome of other litigation
- Represented wholesaler in federal antitrust litigation alleging price discrimination under the Robinson-Patman Act
- Negotiated favorable settlements on behalf of incarcerated pro bono client with prison healthcare provider for client’s Section 1983 civil rights claim, and with state department of corrections after defeating a motion for summary judgment
- Negotiated plea agreement with U.S. Attorney’s Office for pro bono client charged under federal drug laws
- Duke University School of Law (J.D., 2018)
- Moot Court Board Member; 2018 Dean’s Cup Semifinalist
- Wrongful Convictions Clinic
- Colby College (B.A., with honors, 2012)
- Academic All-American, Swimming
- Individually Qualified for NCAA Championship Meet
Mason is admitted to practice law in Illinois.
Mason is fluent in Spanish, and has extensive experience serving non-English-speaking clientele.