Roy J. Barquet is an immigration lawyer with robust experience handling immigration and labor and employment litigation. A partner and chair of the firm’s Immigration, Nationality, and Consular Law Group, Roy regularly represents clients in business-related immigration issues, audits of employers’ compliance with immigration and labor regulations, employment-based immigrant visa petitions, investment and professional visas, labor certifications, and family-based immigrant visa petitions.
Roy is particularly skilled in addressing legal issues confronting multinational companies in the transfer of U.S. and foreign workers between worldwide affiliates with varying labor and employment laws. He has represented Fortune 500 companies, Olympic athletes, foreign heads of state, investment firms, executives, and international entertainment celebrities before the U.S. Department of Labor and U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services.
Roy previously served as an assistant state attorney (prosecutor) for the State Attorney’s Office in Miami-Dade County from 1991-1996. While there, he was responsible for aspects of litigation in the prosecution of first-degree felonies, including drafting arrest and search warrants, grand jury indictments, discovery, legal motions, jury instructions, and appeals.
Awards and Recognition
- Peer Review Rated as AV Preeminent®, the highest performance rating in Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ system
- Recognized by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business in the practice area of Immigration (2021-2024) and Litigation – Labor and Employment (2024)
- Nominated by the South Florida Legal Guide as a Top Up & Comer in the 2006 – 2010 editions, as well as a Top Lawyer in the 2011, 2015, 2016, and 2017 editions.
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Immigration Law (2013 – 2023)
- Florida Trend “Legal Elite” list for immigration, nationality, and consular law, 2017
- Member, Miami Dade County Bar Association
- Member, American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Past Chair, Eleventh Judicial Circuit Grievance Committee
- President, Alzheimer’s Association (South Florida chapter)
- Member, WPBT/Channel 2 Community Advisory Board
- Volunteer, American Red Cross
- Spanish (fluent)