Ken Black is a litigation partner in the Salt Lake City office, where he is a member of the firm’s Business Litigation & Dispute Resolution Practice Group. His experience is deep and varied.
Ken has litigated a wide variety of intellectual property-related disputes, including patent infringement, contract, licensing, trade secrets, and unfair competition disputes. He also represents businesses, accountants, and individuals in corporate and securities litigation matters, including class actions, shareholder derivative suits, SEC investigations, dissenting shareholder actions, and battles for corporate control.
Ken is also frequently retained by law firms, lawyers, and accountants to represent them in professional liability matters.
Ken is admitted to practice in both Utah and California and is frequently retained to handle litigation matters in Northern and Southern California federal and state courts.
Awards and Recognition
- Recognized by Best Lawyers® as Appellate Practice “Lawyer of the Year,” Salt Lake City (2021); Litigation – Securities Law “Lawyer of the Year,” Salt Lake City (2019); Bet-the-Company Litigation “Lawyer of the Year,” Salt Lake City (2015); and Litigation – Intellectual Property Law “Lawyer of the Year,” Salt Lake City (2013)
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® for Appellate Practice, Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Litigation – Intellectual Property, Litigation – Patent, Litigation – Securities, Trade Secrets Law (2008–2024)
- Recognized as one of “America’s Leading Lawyers for Business” (Utah) by Chambers USA (currently: Litigation: General Commercial) (2005–2023)
- Named a “Patent Star – Utah” and “Trademark Star – Utah” in Managing Intellectual Property’s IP Stars (2018–2022)
- Listed for many years in the Utah Business “Legal Elite”
- Listed in Mountain States Super Lawyers® (Business Litigation, Intellectual Property Litigation, Securities Litigation (2007–2022)
- Listed in Mountain States Super Lawyers® in Top 100 Lawyers (2012–2017, 2020–2021)
- Recipient, Distinguished Service Award, Federal Bar Association, Utah Chapter (2018)
- Member, U.S. District Court, District of Utah, Local Rules Committee (2020 -Present)
- Member, University of Utah National Honors Advisory Board (2001-2018)
- Member, Utah Supreme Court Advisory Committee on Professionalism (2004 -2013)