Christopher “Chris” Cain helps clients solve business and legal problems and advises entrepreneurs on scaling and protecting their businesses. A partner and business lawyer in the Chicago and Madison offices of Foley & Lardner LLP, he represents financial and strategic clients in mergers and acquisitions. He advises businesses in a myriad of industries, including fast-growing consumer product companies, healthy food and beverage companies, and technology startups.
“I greatly enjoyed and valued working with Chris and the entire Foley team throughout the lifecycle of Vive Organic, during the early startup days all the way through acquisition. Chris is highly responsive, has a wealth of knowledge, is able to advise on a wide range of topics, and is just an excellent partner overall. Whether it was fundraising, M&A, board and corporate matters, employee matters, or manufacturing, distribution and broker matters, Chris and his team were exceptional at advising us.”
– Wyatt Taubman, co-founder of Vive Organic and board member of Suja Organic
Having worked previously as a Certified Public Accountant for a leading international accounting firm and as general counsel for a publicly traded software company, Chris offers legal counsel that balances business goals and legal strategies. He harnesses his diverse background to provide a fresh perspective and pragmatic advice.
“I worked with Chris through two sales of my company and I can say without reservation that his involvement in both were crucial to their successful conclusions. Chris always seems to understand the more meaningful nuance of the situation and has provided me with invaluable guidance.”
– Jonathan Blitt, CEO, Aztec Software
“Chris has a unique ability to dig into the nuances and get granular without losing sight of the bigger picture and ultimate company goals. One of the best decisions we’ve made to-date is working with Chris. I couldn’t speak more highly of him as a person and a partner.”
– Matt Mullenax, CEO and co-founder, Huron
Chris is co-chair of the firm’s national Transactions Practice Group and a member of the Innovative Technology and Food & Beverage teams. He serves on the firm’s Partner Selection Committee.
Chris is a co-founder of Catapult Chicago, a nonprofit co-working space for the Midwest’s most promising startups. He provides counsel pro bono for various organizations.
- Represented A1 Garage Door Service in its growth capitalization deal with Cortec Group.
- Represented Corazon Capital in various portfolio investments.
- Represented CPG startups in their equity raises, including Huron, RXBAR, heywell, CHOMPS, Vive Organic, Forage Kombucha.
- Represented CMFG Ventures (Corporate Venture Arm of CUNA Mutual Group) in various fintech investments.
- Represented RXBAR in its sale to Kellogg Company for US$600m.
- Represented Vive Organic in its sale to Suja Life.
- Represented CUNA Mutual Group in multiple acquisitions, including CuneXus, Forever Car, and Compliance Systems Inc.
- Represented Zebra Technologies (NASDAQ: ZBRA) in its acquisition of Profitect Inc.
- Represented Wellspring Worldwide in its sale to Resurgens Technology Partners.
- Represented LitCharts in its sale to Course Hero.
- Represented Aztec Software in its sale to Providence Strategic Growth.
- Represented Princeton TMX in its sale to The Stephens Group.
- Represented Fibroblast in its sale to Cerner.
- Represented a leading digital consultancy to a private equity firm.
- Represented Delve in its sale to Trinity Hunt Partners.
- Represented Nu-Pak Inc. and Prairie Industries, Inc. in their sale to The Halifax Group.
- Represented Club Automation in its sale to Daxko.
- Assisted Sonic Foundry Inc. in selling certain assets related to its software development, acquisition, licensing, manufacturing, marketing, and distribution business to Sony Pictures Digital.
Awards and Recognition
- Chambers USA – Corporate/M&A (2023-2024)
- The Best Lawyers in America© – Corporate Law (2010 to present)
- The Best Lawyers in America© – Mergers and Acquisitions Law (2013 to present)
- Best Lawyers® – Madison Mergers and Acquisitions “Lawyer of the Year” (2015, 2017)
- The Legal 500 – Media, Technology and Telecoms Transactions; Mergers and Acquisitions
- Wisconsin Super Lawyers–Rising Stars® – Securities and Corporate Finance (2006, 2007)