Maureen Easton is a partner and business lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP. She has extensive experience in mergers and acquisitions and private equity and venture capital transactions in a variety of industries including insurance, manufacturing, and financial technologies. Maureen also advises companies in connection with general corporate and governance matters. She works as her clients’ trusted partner to advance their business interests and avoid potential problems through active listening, creative negotiation, and precise drafting of documents. She is a member of the Transactions and Insurance Practice Groups; the Manufacturing and Innovative Technology Sectors; and the Food & Beverage Industry Team, where she leads the firm’s Craft Beer practice.
Maureen’s insurance industry experience includes representation of life and property/casualty insurers in mergers and acquisitions; venture capital investments by insurers in insurtech and fintech companies; mutual insurance holding company mergers and conversions; governance advice; new company formation; and strategic partnership transactions.
- Represented CUNA Mutual Group in its $1.35B acquisition of Assurant’s global preneed business
- Represent CUNA Mutual Group in its venture capital investments, particularly in the financial technology industry
- Represented National Guardian Life Insurance Company in its acquisition of Everplans, a digital life and estate planning company
- Represented CUNA Mutual Group in its acquisition of ForeverCar and its mechanical repair coverage digital platform and marketing capabilities
- Represented Teel Plastics in its recapitalization with Morgenthaler Private Equity
- Represented National Guardian Life Insurance Company in its strategic partnership with Insurance Capital Group to jointly develop and launch a national dental and vision insurance business
- Represented American Family Insurance in its $1B acquisition of Ameriprise Auto & Home Insurance
- Represented American Family Insurance in its mutual holding company merger with Main Street America Group
- Represented American Family Mutual Insurance Company in its conversion to a mutual holding company structure
- Represented American Family Insurance in its $660 million acquisition of Homesite Group, Inc. and its various insurance subsidiaries
- Represented American Family Insurance in its $239 million acquisition of PGC Holdings Corp. and its various insurance subsidiaries
Awards and Recognition
- Named to BTI Consulting’s M&A Client Service All-Stars list (2021)
- Selected by Business Magazine’s “40 Under 40” Up-and-Coming Business Leaders in the greater Madison area (2017)
- Member, Audit Committee and Governance Committee, Board of Directors of Wisconsin Lawyers Mutual Insurance Company
- Member, Board of Directors of Creative Learning Preschool, Inc.
Presentations and Publications
- Co-author, Insurance M&A Activity Rebounds, ThinkAdvisor (2021)
- Quoted, Trov’s Evolution: From Barba Streisand to Embedded Insurance, Carrier Management (2021)
- Quoted, Foley & Lardner to add craft beer practice group, Milwaukee Business Journal (2016)
- Quoted, Executive Q&A: Maureen Easton navigates the legalities of brewing, Wisconsin State Journal (2016)