David Golub is a senior counsel and intellectual property lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP, where he counsels clients to identify and protect their intellectual property rights and to minimize and control intellectual property risks. He is a registered patent attorney and a member of the firm’s Mechanical & Electromechanical Technologies Practice and Innovative Technology and Health Care and Life Sciences Sectors. David’s practice focuses on patent counseling, including drafting and prosecuting U.S. and foreign patent applications to obtain patents, managing patent portfolios, and assessing patent infringement risks. David provides patentability opinions on new technologies and products, freedom-to-operate opinions, and invalidity and noninfringement opinions on competitor patents, as well as counsel on designing around competitor patents. He also assists clients with patent enforcement strategies, intellectual property agreements, intellectual property merger and acquisition due diligence, and other intellectual property counseling. David serves clients ranging from startups to Fortune 500 companies.
David has extensive experience with a broad range of technologies, including:
- Medical technologies, including medical devices and related software
- Telehealth systems, including remote patient monitoring and mobile health applications
- Financial technologies, including mobile banking, secure fund transfers, and ATM technology
- Dental and orthodontic devices and treatment planning and monitoring software
- Imaging systems, including 3D modeling and point cloud applications
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML)Virtual Reality (VR), Augmented Reality (AR), and Mixed Reality (MR) technologies
- Automated manufacturing and medical device manufacturing systems
- Vehicles and components including automotive and aircraft control software
- Consumer products including fitness equipment, skin and nail care, and grooming devices
- Smartphones and mobile messaging software
- Internet and e-commerce related systems
Prior to Foley, David was an associate at an intellectual property boutique where his practice focused on enforcing and licensing patents, including prosecuting patent applications for monetization purposes, assisting with district court litigations, and defending patents in post-grant proceedings including ex parte reexamination and inter partes review (IPR).
While in law school, David competed in an international intellectual property moot court competition in Beijing, China. He also worked with new medical technologies in the technology transfer office at the University of Illinois at Chicago, he served as a judicial extern for the Honorable Ronald A. Guzman of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, and he was awarded CALI Awards for receiving the highest grade in Legal Analysis, Research & Communication II and Legal Analysis, Research & Communication III.
As an undergraduate, he conducted research in the field of nanotechnology, focusing on dental and orthopedic applications. He also volunteered one summer as an English teacher in rural Hungary and Slovakia.
Awards and Recognition
- The Best Lawyers in America© – Ones to Watch recognition for Intellectual Property Law (2023-2024)
- Member of Intellectual Property Owners Association Software Related Inventions Committee
- Member of Intellectual Property Owners Association Artificial Intelligence & New Emerging Technologies Committee
- Provides pro bono services to inventors and entrepreneurs through IP brief advice clinics through LegalCORPS
- Provides full patent application and drafting representation to low income inventors
- Volunteer provider of estate planning services for Wisconsin-based first responders