Kevin Malaney helps innovative, high-tech companies with all manner of intellectual property (IP) issues and focuses on pre-litigation counseling and litigation related to such issues.
Kevin counsels clients in pre-litigation issues involved in IP enforcement and clearance through risk-assessment, agreement review, and due diligence. He assists his clients with respect to a wide variety of IP assets and disputes including patents, trade secrets, trademarks, and other IP disputes.
Kevin’s case experience spans many diverse technologies with a primary focus on computer software and hardware disputes. Exemplary technologies include process control software, building control and security software systems, smartphone applications, VoIP, communication standards such as 802.11, biometric encryption and decryption, and media content delivery applications. Through this experience, Kevin has handled cases involving standards-setting organizations as well as parallel U.S. Patent and Trademark Office proceedings.
Prior to law school, Kevin was a software engineer at Oracle Corporation, where he designed and implemented complex software applications for aggregating, presenting, and analyzing large data sets. A self-described “source code expert functioning as an attorney,” clients appreciate Kevin’s informed counsel, which provides valuable insight into hardware and software issues that arise with products on the market.
Kevin is a member of the Intellectual Property Litigation Practice Group and the Innovative Technology Sector.
- Member of the American Bar Association
- Member of the State Bar of Wisconsin
- Member of the Wisconsin Intellectual Property Law Association
- Milwaukee Academy of Science (MAS)
- Member of the board of directors
- Member of the Executive Committee
- Chair of the Fund Development Committee
- Member of the Fundraising Cabinet for the “I Have a Dream” Foundation Milwaukee
- ACTS Housing/ACTS Lending
- Former member of the board of directors
- Former chair of the Lending Advisory Committee
- Pro bono work for MAS, ACTS Housing/ACTS Lending, Legal Aid Society of Milwaukee, and Lawyers for the Creative Arts