Sarah Slack is an environmental lawyer dividing her time between project development/redevelopment work, environmental compliance counseling, transactions, and environmental litigation. She is a partner in the firm’s Business Law Department and a member of the Environmental Regulation Practice Group. Sarah is also an active member in the Firm’s Energy Sector where she acts as the Subsector Lead for our Energy Transition team. Sarah has extensive experience counseling developer, investor, and lender clients in all aspects of renewable energy project development, including solar, wind, and battery storage projects. Sarah regularly counsels clients on matters related to ESG, including green claims and green washing considerations. In addition, Sarah assists clients on development, financing and permitting considerations related to Carbon Capture and Hydrogen Projects, as well as on matters related to Microgrids and EV Infrastructure development, as well as Clean Tech.
Sarah counsels clients across a variety of industry sectors, from traditional energy and infrastructure matters to renewable energy projects, and from chemical producers to manufacturing companies. She has been involved in numerous development and redevelopment projects, and has assisted with obtaining, renewing, and revising construction and operation permits, including permits related to federal and state wetlands, wastewater discharges, air emissions, and special status species.
Sarah has extensive experience counseling clients on the cutting edge of Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, Superfund, FIFRA, TSCA and RCRA enforcement, as well as citizen suit litigation, settlement strategies, and related cost recovery, insurance coverage, and indemnity disputes. She also provides counsel to clients regarding air emissions, waste management, underground storage tank compliance, water discharge permitting and compliance, and on a variety of compliance matters related to chemicals and chemical usage, including under California’s Proposition 65.
Awards and Recognition
- Listed in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business in the fields of natural resources and environmental law (2022-2023)
- Named to Wisconsin Super Lawyers – Rising Stars® lists (2013-2015)
- Chair Elect of the Environmental Law Section of the State Bar of Wisconsin
Presentations and Publications
- Co-author, “Navigating to Net Zero: Regulatory Regimes and Market Trends Impacting Decisions,” Natural Resources & Environment (Summer 2023)
- Co-author, “Crossing the Line: Navigating Multinational Corporation Chemical Compliance,” Natural Resources & Environment (Fall 2020)
- Co-author, “Paris or No Paris, Auto Emissions May Fall,” Daily Journal (June 22, 2017)
- Author, “When is a Pesticide Not a Pollutant? Never: An Analysis of the EPA’s Misguided Guidance,” 90 Iowa L. Rev. 1241 (2005)