Annie Tsai focuses her practice on project finance, and in particular advising clients in the development, acquisition, and financing of renewable energy projects. She is a member of the firm’s Environmental, Social, and Corporate Governance (ESG) Team, the Finance Practice, and the Energy Sector.
Annie has vast experience in the electric power industry. Before becoming an attorney, Annie worked for Southern California Edison’s Energy Procurement Group. She optimized the utility’s multibillion-dollar conventional and renewables portfolio as a part of the Energy Trading Team. Annie advised negotiation teams on the value and risks of power purchase agreements, resource adequacy capacity contracts, energy call options, and firm energy delivery contracts. She also managed the utility’s California PUC regulatory proceedings related to energy procurement (renewables power, conventional power, natural gas, and greenhouse gas emissions).
- Represented, lead lender in syndicated construction, tax equity and term debt financing for community solar project portfolios primarily located in Massachusetts and New York
- Represented, lead lender in syndicated construction, tax equity and term debt financing for utility-scale solar projects in Virginia and North Carolina
- Represented, lender in term debt financing for a portfolio of wind projects in California
- Represented, ESG investor in its investment in an electric vehicle startup company
- Represented, lead lender in syndicated construction and term debt financing for $100 million cold storage project in Idaho with a leading national food producer as key customer
*Matters handled prior to joining Foley.
Presentations and Publications
- Speaker, Renewable Energy Law and Incentives Under the Biden Administration, National Business Institute (April 2022)
- Panelist, How Community Solar Will Accelerate States Toward Their Renewable Energy Targets, Women in Cleantech & Sustainability and Women in Energy Greater New York Chapter (October 2021)
- Speaker, Innovation in Risk Management for Renewable Project Finance, Effective Due Diligence on Large Portfolios as a Key Risk Mitigation Strategy, Infocast webinar (April 2021)
- Mandarin Chinese (fluent)