Claire Marblestone is senior counsel and a health care lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP. Her practice focuses on transactional and health care regulatory matters, with an emphasis on HIPAA compliance, corporate practice of medicine, provider enrollment, and licensure and certification. She advises hospitals, health systems, physician groups, digital health providers, and health care businesses on regulatory and compliance issues presented by telemedicine and telehealth.
Claire provides regulatory and transactional counsel to companies specializing in women’s healthcare.
Claire provides transactional counsel to health care organizations, hospitals, physician groups, and other health care companies. She has drafted and negotiated documents relating to hospital acquisitions, health plan acquisitions, health care provider mergers, professional services arrangements, and management agreements. She conducts health regulatory due diligence and advises on health care company acquisitions.
Claire works with clients on state licensure and change of ownership issues, as well as compliance with Medicare and Medicaid enrollment rules and regulations. She has extensive experience developing and implementing compliance programs for long-term care providers, and assisting digital health clients with complex health care privacy compliance issues. Claire also provides regulatory advice to health plans and risk bearing organizations on compliance with various state and federal health insurance laws and regulations, including the Knox-Keene Act.
Claire has been named to the California Super Lawyers – Rising Stars® list (2019), which recognizes the top 2.5 percent of California lawyers under 40.
- The University of California, Hastings College of the Law (J.D., 2011)
- Executive Note Editor, Hastings Constitutional Law Quarterly
- Judicial extern to the Honorable Richard Seeborg in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- Graduate Legal Research Fellow, UCSF/UC Hastings Consortium on Law, Science and Health Policy
- The University of California, Santa Barbara (B.A., magna cum laude, 2008)
- Bachelor's Degree in History
- Author, “Health Care Information Exchanges and Price Transparency Initiatives: CMS Requests Input from Providers,” Health Care Law Today, August 13, 2018
- Speaker, “340B Program Updates,” Southern California HFMA Summer Program, July 20, 2017
- Co-author, “DOJ and OIG Focus on Opioid Abuse: Medical Professionals Who Overprescribe May Be Targets,” Health Care Law Today, July 17, 2017
- Co-author, “New Attorney General Issues Guidance on Corporate Compliance Programs,” Health Care Law Today, March 6, 2017
- Author, “Update on California’s End of Life Option Act,” Health Care Law Today, February 28, 2017
- Co-author, “340B Program Omnibus Guidance Withdrawn,” Health Care Law Today, February 7, 2017
- Co-author, “HRSA Announces Final Rule on Civil Monetary Penalties for Drug Manufacturers that Overcharge 340B Covered Entities,” Health Care Law Today, January 10, 2017
- Co-author, “The Joint Commission Bans Text Messaging for Patient Care Orders,” Health Care Law Today, January 9, 2017
- Co-author, “Hospital Text Messaging Rules Placed on Hold by Joint Commission,” Health Care Law Today, July 26, 2016
- Co-author, “California’s End of Life Option Act: Key Requirements and Considerations,” Health Care Law Today, June 1, 2016
- Co-author, “OCR Releases Updated HIPAA Audit Protocol and Business Associate Listing Template,” Health Care Law Today, April 21, 2016
- Co-author, “Phase 2 of HIPAA Compliance Audits Now Underway,” Health Care Law Today, March 23, 2016
- Speaker, “Telemedicine Privacy and Security: Safeguarding Protected Health information and Minimizing Risks of Disclosure,” Strafford Webinar, August 13, 2015
- Co-author, “Is My Telehealth App Subject to HIPAA?” Health Care Law Today, July 15, 2015
- Co-author, “OIG Releases Compliance Guidance for Health Care Governing Boards,” Health Care Law Today, April 30, 2015
- Author, “CMS Intends to Modify HER “Meaningful Use” Program Requirements,” Health Care Law Today, February 6, 2015
- Co-author, “Genetic Information Privacy: A Complex Regulatory Framework,” Bloomberg BNA: Medical Research Law & Policy Report, January 7, 2015
- Co-author, “Privacy Issues in the Sharing of Genetic Information,” Foley & Lardner White Paper, September 18, 2014
- Quoted, “10 Top Issues for Spine Surgeons After the Supreme Court Upheld Healthcare Reform,” Becker’s Orthopedic, Spine & Pain Management Review, October 2012
- Author, “Ambulance Alert: Increased Fraud Risks for Medical Transport Providers,” Becker’s Hospital Review, February 29, 2012
- Author, “A Matter of Conscience: United States v. Seeger and the Supreme Court’s Historical Failure to Define Conscientious Objector Status Under the First Amendment,” Hastings Constitutional Law Quarterly, Fall 2010
- Member, Healthcare Law Section of the Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Member, California Society for Healthcare Attorneys
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association
Claire serves on Foley’s national Associate Committee and the Women's Network Committee.