David Cabrales is a renowned litigation lawyer with broad experience representing clients in environmental, state government, and commercial litigation matters. He frequently represents financial institutions, securities broker-dealers, retailers, and life and health insurance companies in traditional and complex litigation, as well as in arbitration proceedings. David routinely appears before the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, the State Office of Administrative Hearing, FINRA and AAA. David also counsels clients in matters before state government, and he provides representation to businesses in litigation matters initiated by state attorneys general.
David previously served as general counsel to Texas Gov. Rick Perry from 2007 to 2009 and, along with his legal team, provided advice to the governor and the governor’s staff on a variety of topics at the intersection of law and public policy. He also served as principal economic development advisor for the governor and helped administer the Texas Enterprise Fund, the Emerging Technology Fund, Texas One and other programs in the governor’s economic development portfolio. In addition, Gov. Perry appointed David to the Texas Economic Development Corporation in 2010 and in 2014, and David served as chairman from 2010 to 2012.
David is also a member of the bipartisan Federal Judicial Evaluation Committee (FJEC), which is composed of leading Texas attorneys who screen and recommend to U.S. Senators John Cornyn and Ted Cruz nominees for vacancies on the federal bench and in U.S. attorney offices in Texas.
A graduate of Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, David began his legal career as a briefing attorney to Texas Supreme Court Justice Raul Gonzalez.
Awards and Recognition
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in the field of Commercial Litigation (2013-2024)
- Recognized, Top Latino Lawyers, Latino Leaders Magazine (2017)
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Member, Dallas Bar Association – Securities Section, Chairman (2004)
- Member, Dallas Hispanic Bar Association
- Board Member, United Way of Texas
- Member, United Way of Metropolitan Dallas Foundation
- Member, Salesmanship Club of Dallas
- Member, Texas Economic Development Corporation (2014)
- Chairman, Board of Directors (2009-2012)
- Appointed to Texas Racing Commission by Gov. Rick Perry (2006-2007)