Chanley Howell is a partner and intellectual property lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP, where his practice focuses on a broad range of technology law matters. He is a member of the firm’s Technology Transactions, Cybersecurity, and Privacy Practice and the Sports, Health Care and Automotive Industry Teams.
Chanley represents companies in a variety of technology law areas, such as:
- Data Privacy and Security Compliance: Counsel and advise clients with respect to compliance with data privacy and security laws requirements and obligations, including federal privacy laws (Gramm-Leach-Bliley, HIPAA, telemedicine/telehealth); consumer protection/marketing laws (TCPA, CAN-SPAM, COPPA); FTC privacy requirements, investigations, and enforcement actions; state data privacy, security, and breach notification laws; artificial intelligence/AI issues; EU Privacy Shield compliance and certification; regulatory risk assessment and compliance audits; privacy and information security policies; records retention, destruction, and management policies
- Software Agreements: Software licensing, support, and maintenance; joint development, IT professional and consulting services; software license audits and disputes
- Technology Agreements: IT outsourcing; EHR (electronic health record) system agreements; ERP licensing, acquisition, and implementation agreements; telemedicine/telehealth related agreements and policies; artificial intelligence/AI-related agreements; patent, copyright, and trademark licenses; joint development and marketing agreements; telecommunications agreements; technology acquisition and distribution agreements; IT/IP due diligence for mergers and acquisitions
- Internet: Online and electronic contracts and agreements; ESIGN and electronic signature issues; telemedicine/telehealth, ecommerce, and online transactions; domain names; website terms and conditions; privacy policies; social media policies
While Chanley handles these types of engagements across all industries, he has particular experience in the health care, telemedicine/telehealth, financial services, automotive, and hospitality industries.
“Foley is the premier firm for telehealth counsel.”
“A market leader in telemedicine issues.” “This is the Dream Team.”
– Chambers® USA: America’s Leading Business Lawyers (2020, 2021)
- Artificial Intelligence: Representing US$15+ billion health system in connection with its enterprise-wide AI and generative AI strategies and initiatives, including legal and regulatory compliance, AI governance, and policies.
- Artificial Intelligence: Representing US$10+ billion consumer online entertainment services company in connection with its enterprise-wide AI and generative AI strategies and initiatives, including legal and regulatory, compliance, AI governance, policies, and commercial agreements.
- Mergers & Acquisitions: Information technology, cybersecurity, and privacy subject matter resource for US$25 billion company in acquisition of technology and legal compliance target.
- E-Motorcycles: Online terms and conditions, privacy policies, and legal compliance for the worldwide marketing and sale of electric motorcycles, including connected bike data and telemetry issues for US$2 billion e-motorcycle manufacturer.
- Artificial Intelligence and Contract Lifecycle Management: Advising US$45 billion international fire, HVAC, and security equipment manufacturer for its enterprise-wide procurement contract life cycle management program, including use of extractive and generative AI technologies and solutions.
- Bitcoin mining. General broad-based representation of US$2 billion bitcoin mining company, including technology transactions, licensing, intellectual property protection and enforcement, real estate development, and legal compliance.
- Autonomous Driving: Representing innovative startup in connection with the commercialization and licensing of LiDAR-based Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) technology, including potential investments by US$30+ billion leader in the autonomous driving industry.
- E-Commerce Initiative: Assisting US$1+ billion diversified industrial manufacturing and logistics company with developing and commercializing an online ecommerce marketplace for the trucking and semi-trailer transportation industry.
Awards and Recognition
- Peer review rated as AV Preeminent®, the highest performance rating in the Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ system
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® in the field of Electronic Discovery and Information Management Law (2021-2024)
- Recognized, The Legal 500 for his work in Technology: Data Protection and Privacy (2011-2014, 2016)
- Recognized, Jacksonville’s “Top Lawyers” by 904 Magazine (2014)
- Founder and former chair, The Jacksonville Bar Association Intellectual Property Section
- Member, The Florida Bar Intellectual Property Law and Business Law Sections
- Member, American Bar Association Intellectual Property and Business Law Sections
- Member, The Jacksonville Bar Association Intellectual Property and Business Law Sections
- Member, Fourth Judicial Circuit Grievance Committee
- Professional responsibility partner, Foley Jacksonville office
Presentations and Publications
- Author, “Artificial Intelligence (AI) Investment: Risks, Due Diligence, and Mitigation Strategies,” lexis.com (September 2023)
- Webinar, “Simplifying Contract Drafting: Leveraging Legal Technology for Ease and Efficiency,” sponsored by myLawCLE (September 8, 2023)
- Presentation for certain clients “Developing a Legally Compliance AI Governance Program” (various dates)
- Presenter, “AI Regulation and Framework,” Foley & Lardner training program, (July 19, 2023)
- Presenter, “The Vehicle Suppliers Association: AI Legal Risks and Compliance Status and Trends,” MEMA (July 18, 2023)
- Certified information privacy professional/US (CIPP/US), certified by the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)