Mark A. Kassel provides counsel on a broad spectrum of patent, trademark, copyright, and licensing matters. His patent practice emphasizes biotechnical and chemical arts, including nanotechnology, pharmaceutical, and diagnostic products. Mark is former chair of Foley’s Chemical, Biotechnology & Pharmaceutical Practice and is head of the Madison office Intellectual Property Department. Mark is also a member of the firm’s Mechanical & Electromechanical Technologies and Trademark, Copyright & Advertising Practices, as well as the Health Care & Life Sciences Sector and Food & Beverage Industry Teams.
Mark has wide-ranging experience in both organic and inorganic chemical areas involving adhesives, polymers, pharmaceuticals, and alloys. He has extensive experience drafting agreements, including license agreements, joint venture agreements, consulting agreements, and distribution agreements. He also prepares patent validity and non-infringement opinions as well as conducts patent portfolio analysis.
Mark provides counseling on all aspects of domestic and international trademark practice, including trademark registration and trademark enforcement. He represents the worldwide trademark interests of numerous clients. In addition, he acts as primary copyright counsel for several businesses ranging from book publishers to software manufacturers.
Mark represents a broad range of clients, with special focus on advising and counseling start-up companies in all aspects of intellectual property protection as well as legal issues associated with biotechnology asset valuation and management, venture capital, and licensing.
Awards and Recognition
- Named to BTI Consulting Group’s coveted Client Service All Star Team (2017), this honor is bestowed upon individual attorneys who deliver outstanding client service according to corporate counsel interviewed at large organizations with U.S. $1B or more in revenue.
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in the fields of Biotechnology and Life Sciences (2008, 2010-2024), Technology Law (2009, 2010-2024) and Patent Law (2011-2024).
- Named the Best Lawyers® Patent Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Madison (2015, 2017, 2019, 2022, and 2024).
- Named the 2016 Client Choice for his work with IP patents.
- Recognized by the Legal 500 as a Leading Lawyer in patent prosecution (2010-2016) and as a Leading Lawyer in trademarks (2012).
- Selected for inclusion in the 2005 and 2010 Wisconsin Super Lawyers® lists.
- Named to the 2012-2022 editions of Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business in the practice areas of Intellectual Property.
- Peer review rated as AV Preeminent®, the highest performance rating in Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™.
- Named a Food and Drug Law Institute Scholar by the Food and Drug Law Institute.
- Received more than two dozen honors and awards during law school, including being named a Duesenburg Endowed Scholar.
- Named a WIPR Leader by World IP Review for his IP practice.
- American Intellectual Property Law Association, member
- Wisconsin Intellectual Property Law Association, member
- National Association of Patent Practitioners, member
- Licensing Executives Society, member
- American Chemical Society, member
- Society for Microbiology, member
- American Association for the Advancement of Science, member