Caleb D. Erbert is an associate and business lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP, based in the firm’s Detroit office, where he is a member of the firm’s Transactions Practice. Caleb practices general corporate and business law and has experience in a variety of industries, advising clients in connection with mergers & acquisitions, private equity transactions, joint ventures and other general corporate and contract matters. Prior to joining Foley, Caleb was a member of the corporate and M&A practice group at another Detroit based law firm.
Before pursuing his legal career, Caleb worked at an advisory services firm where he performed on-site field exams to assess and evaluate loan collateral for major lenders throughout North America. He was also a member of the firm’s consulting group, where he advised clients through complex business and financial transactions.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Guided a defense contractor through a competitive bid process and assisted in the eventual sale of the company for more than $300 million to a private equity buyer.
- Represented a company in the materials, component, electrical and electromagnetic compatibility testing industry with U.S. and China operations in a cross-border sale to a publicly traded strategic purchaser in Europe with a transaction value of over $80 million.
- Represented a company in the manufacturing and industrial services sector in its sale for more than $65 million to a private equity buyer.
- Represented a distressed leading manufacturer of plumbing systems in an attempted $35 million sale to a strategic buyer. Later assisted the company in selling its assets out of receivership.
- Represented a commercial door manufacture servicing the automotive industry in its sale for more than $25 million to a strategic buyer in the Midwest.
- Represented a client specializing in brain injury rehabilitation in a sophisticated joint venture with an industry competitor.
- Represented two ophthalmologist practices in their combined sale to a single private equity buyer specializing in healthcare portfolios.
Start Up Representation/Capital Raising
- Represented a Chicago nootropic supplement start-up to develop and finalize its corporate governance structure, organizational documents, initial financing raise and phantom equity plan, along with ongoing corporate legal and business advice.
- Represented a tech startup that developed advanced analytical data systems for OEMs in the automotive industry in its issuance of Series A Preferred Stock.
- Led educational partnership with a local venture capital firm to help emerging enterprises identify and navigate corporate governance issues.
*Matters handled prior to joining Foley.
Awards and Recognition
- Received, Best Lawyers: Ones To Watch recognition for:
- Corporate Law (2021-2024)
- Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law (2021-2024)
- Mergers and Acquisitions Law (2024)
- NextGen Steering Committee member, Associate for Corporate Growth (ACG) — Detroit Chapter
- Board of directors member, Secured Financing Network — Michigan Chapter
- Member, State Bar of Michigan
- Business Law section
- Real Property Law section
- Member, Federal Bar Association — Eastern District of Michigan Chapter