Adria E. Warren is a health care lawyer advising hospitals, providers, and health care enterprises on complex transactions, corporate, and regulatory compliance matters. Her experience includes mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, and other affiliations and strategic transactions; forming provider groups, networks, and alliances; advising on fraud and abuse and HIPAA compliance, employment, reporting and disclosure requirements, and marketing compliance. She is a member of the Health Care and Technology Industry Teams.
Adria brings a wealth of business and transactional experience to assist clients in the health care industry, including providers, medical device companies, life sciences companies, and health care information technology companies. In addition, Adria counsels entrepreneurs and established companies on a wide range of day-to-day legal and business issues from starting up through going public, including corporate governance issues, securities laws compliance, tax, and employment matters.
- Represented Sports Medicine North Orthopedic Surgery, Inc., and its affiliated ambulatory surgery center in their acquisition by Connecticut-based orthopedic and spine care management services organization Spire Orthopedic Partners, a portfolio company of Kohlberg & Co.
- Advised Midwest health system on its US $40MM acquisition, through a long-term lease, of a publicly-held critical access hospital.
- Advised New England Baptist Hospital on its consolidation with Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Lahey Health System, Mount Auburn Hospital, and Anna Jaques Hospital to form Beth Israel Lahey Health.
- Advised regional developer of ambulatory surgery centers in connection with the transaction structuring, development, and implementation of multiple ambulatory surgical centers, including securities offerings and regulatory advice.
- Advised Emerson Hospital in connection with negotiating, documenting, and implementing two imaging center joint ventures.
- Advised multiple physician groups in sales to hospitals, health systems, health management organizations, and private equity.
- Multiple physician group affiliations and corporate reorganizations.
- Advised multiple providers and hospital system clients in connection with new physician alignment models and strategies, including leasing, professional services, and employment arrangements.
- Supported the corporate reorganization of a physician group consisting of over 500 physicians, including advising on corporate governance and compensation matters.
- Advised Cobius Healthcare Solutions, a leading provider of reimbursement and compliance risk management tools for hospitals and healthcare systems, on its sale to MRO Corporation.
- Advised life sciences, health information technology (IT), and infomatics companies on regulatory compliance needs.
- Served as outside general counsel for over three years for New England Baptist Hospital, a specialty orthopaedic hospital in Boston.
- Relationship partner supporting all the health transaction and regulatory needs for a large regional health system that includes 18 hospitals and campuses.
- Lived in China from 1990-1993 and in 1996, and has worked extensively with China and Southeast Asia in numerous capacities.
Awards and Recognition
- Recognized in Chambers USA for her work in Health Care Law (2021-2024)
- Selected by her peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® list in the field of Health Care Law since 2020
- Named a Top Massachusetts Woman Attorney in “Super Lawyers and Rising Stars” in 2019
- Regular guest lecturer on health transactions for Boston University Law School of Law.
- Previously served on the Steering Committee of the Boston Bar Association’s Health Law Committee, and co-chaired its Education Subcommittee (2015 to 2018)
- Previously co-chaired the China Committee for the American Bar Association’s Section of International Law, and editor of its “Year in Review (China)”
- National Co-Chair, Foley’s Women’s Network
- Training Chair, Foley’s Health Care Practice Group
- Cancer Business Forum – Advisory Board
- Board of Directors of the Marino Foundation, a grant-making organization working to promote the advancement of integrative medicine
- Organizer of the Cancer Center Business Summit, the preeminent national conference focusing on the business of oncology
Presentations and Publications
Adria speaks and writes frequently on health care legal matters, including for Health Care Law Today, the Cancer Center Business Summit (the preeminent national conference focusing on the business of oncology), Strafford, the Boston Bar Association, the Association of Corporate Counsel, the National Law Review, and MCLE New England. Some illustrative recent examples are below.
- Co-author, “Massachusetts: Proceed With Caution – New Vaccination Criteria for Hospitals and Other Licensed Health Facilities,” Health Care Law Today (November 7, 2023)
- Co-author, “The Future of the 340B Program: 2023 Key Decisions,” Health Care Law Today (March 30, 2023)
- Speaker, “Industry Consolidation: The Nuts & Bolts,” The ACCC 48th Annual Meeting & Cancer Center Business Summit (March 2-4, 2022)
- Co-author, “Nevada is Latest State to Enhance Oversight of Health Care Transactions,” Health Care Law Today (September 15, 2021)
- Co-author, “New Advisory Opinion on ASCs: New Flexibilities (Or Not?), Health Care Law Today (July 5, 2021)
- Co-author, “Stark Law Changes Coming to Physician Compensation Models in 2022,” Health Care Law Today (May 24, 2021)
- Co-author, “ACCC 47th Annual Meeting & Cancer Center Business Summit (AMCCBS): Positive Disruption in the COVID-19 ERA – Part 3,” Health Care Law Today (April 9, 2021)
- Co-author, “ACCC 47th Annual Meeting & Cancer Center Business Summit (AMCCBS): Positive Disruption in the COVID-19 ERA – Part 2,” Health Care Law Today (April 7, 2021)
- Co-author, “ACCC 47th Annual Meeting & Cancer Center Business Summit (AMCCBS): Positive Disruption in the COVID-19 ERA – Part 1,” Health Care Law Today (April 5, 2021)
- Speaker, “The 2021 ‘Level Set in the Sprint to Value-Based Care,” The ACCC 47th Annual Meeting & Cancer Center Business Summit (March 1-5, 2021)
- Speaker, “Current Deal Trends in Oncology,” The ACCC 47th Annual Meeting & Cancer Center Business Summit (March 1-5, 2021)
- Conversant in French and Mandarin Chinese.