A trusted advisor, Myles Berman leads teams that close deals, and advocates for clients when their business goals are challenged by the legislative process.
Myles offers clients four decades of experience in corporate, real estate, and financial transactions, bringing positive outcomes to each client’s unique situation, including in those instances where business, law, and the government intersect. A former co-chair of the firm’s national Government & Public Policy Practice, Myles represents clients before state, county, and local governments, as well as regulatory and administrative agencies. To ensure clients receive optimum service, he maintains affiliations with the firm’s Environmental Regulation Practice, Energy Sector, Manufacturing Sector, and Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) Practice. Myles previously served as Government Department group head of one of Chicago’s oldest law firms, where he co-chaired the firm’s Government Affairs/Public Affairs practice. He is a registered lobbyist, pursuant to applicable state, county, and local laws.
Throughout his career, Myles has counseled and provided legal services to utilities; private equity funds; U.S.-based global manufacturers; Tier I automotive suppliers; public companies and closely held businesses; multistate agricultural chemicals and inputs retailers; public-private partnership (PPP) projects, including the privatization of a major airport, airport concessions, and toll road; and major banks and financial institutions.
Myles is a director of Foley’s Federal Political Action Committee, and is a member of the firm’s and Chicago office’s Pro Bono Committees. He formerly served as managing partner of the firm’s Chicago office.
- Represented Class I freight railroad company in the acquisition and merger with another railroad to shorten connection and disposition times in and around the Chicago metropolitan area for the movement of resources and goods.
- Represented a local utility for several decades with respect to local and county-wide governmental matters, as well as ethics training and campaign finance advice.
- Represented a global airport operator in support of its bid to privatize Midway Airport.
- Represented a multimillion-dollar manufacturer before Chicago’s City Council to urge the successful enactment of favorable ordinances.
- Represented a nationwide aviation parts supplier and maintenance company seeking to advance its civic agenda before Congress.
- Represented a pipeline company in multiple matters before various state transportation, environmental, and administrative agencies.
- Represented a Fortune 100 manufacturer with respect to environmental matters.
- Represented a national REIT in the acquisition and development of one of the nation’s preeminent intermodal facilities.
- Represented a national infrastructure support company in the acquisition of multiple regional companies.
- Represented a public company with respect to certain of its credit and financing agreements.
- Represented numerous private equity and M&A funds over the past 40 years with respect to corporate, real estate, and environmental matters.
- Chaired several faculties on real estate-related matters for the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education
- Presented at the American Bar Association’s National Meeting, the Law Education Institute’s National CLE Course, and conferences of the American Planning Association
- Co-authored a chapter of the Attorney’s Practice Guide to Negotiations, 2nd Edition (Clark Boardman & Callaghan, 1995)
- Served as a distinguished neutral
- Arbitrated matters for Dalkon Shield Panel of Arbitrators
- Arbitrated matters for the American Arbitration Association
- Mediated matters for Piper Aviation Irrevocable Trust Panel of Mediators
- Taught in the United States and internationally: trained and certified the first panel of mediators in Poland, and conducted a program on negotiations for an international group of lawyers in Blumau, Austria
Awards and Recognition
- Crain’s Chicago Business, “Who’s Who in Chicago Business” (2012-2015)
- AV® Preeminent™, the highest performance rating in Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ system
- Illinois Super Lawyers® – Government Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law’s Student-Funded Public Interest Fellowship Program – Outstanding Contributions to Public Service and the Legal Community
- Board member and former board president, Public Interest Law Initiative Board member, BPI
- Member, The Economic Club of Chicago
- Member, Bluhm Legal Clinic Advisory Board, Northwestern University’s Pritzker School of Law
- Former field associate, Brookings Institution’s 5-year study of the Community Development Block Grant Program
- Former research associate, Northwestern University’s Center for Urban Affairs and Policy Research
- Former board chair, Chicago Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, Inc.
- Adjunct professor, Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law
- Former adjunct associate professor, Department of Urban and Regional Planning, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
- American Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Chicago Council of Lawyers